Monday, October 02, 2006

Mash-up or fender bender?

Sorry, I was not terribly impressed with this weeks' readings. I guess the concept of Remix comes naturally to me-I used to make properties for plays and films, and we always had to find unusual ways of building something very normal. Yee's page I found almost incipherable-so I watched part of his presentation. Actually, it was his Power point with his talk in voice over. Couldn't even make it into the meat of his talk-did anyone else try to sit through it? What was his big point? The video compression of his slides made them almost illegible. If he had something great to say, he went about it the wrong way.
I also made the mistake of printing out Miller's "Interoperability" paper to read on the bus. After mis-reading the title, I spent several moments wondering why someone would want an "Inoperable" program. I fear "Interoperability" is somewhat less "all-pervasive" term in the circles I run around with.This man loves jargon-the more inscrutable, the better. The meat of that work was in the hyper-text. Either do a better job of explaining what your concept is, or just hand me the articles you so frequently cited. Thirty-six citations in a three page work is too much! This article was too much like the MBA articles from the Harvard Business School my husband used to bring home. All sizzle, no steak, why am I paying so much for this meal, I'm going home now.
At least Semantic Humanities and Dr. Cohen valued the narrative tradition. Now that we have gotten everyone used to playing on the web, let's figure out how to get some real work done! Web 2.0-I can imagine a time when people could fix their own cars, and turn their Model As and Ts into custom vehicles for their work--just like my Great Uncles Cigo and Grazzi did when they installed two five-gallon barrels under the bench seat to smuggle moonshine into town during Prohibition. Anyway, time to get started creating resources on the web-I agree it is no longer enough just to stick stuff up. And I love the idea of getting others to do the work. So really, Dr. Cohen is advocating we clever computer-saavy folk learn to make more powerful frameworks for information, and letting interested parties fill in the blanks. Oh yeah, and let everyone use all the data. Sounds good to me, when do we start...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home