Sunday, October 29, 2006
As you can see from the "before" image, I had to rotate the image--turning allows you to take full advantage of the landscape format of the camera. After cropping out my husband's thumbs (thanks honey), I found the camera had not been positioned exactly in the center of the image, and consequently we had some keystoning problems. A little skewing took care of that, but the original illustrator did not make his border quite straight, so it still looks a bit funky. I tried to remove the red border to correct that problem, but the red border lines work as a matte to set the colors off, so I chose art over construction. Several parts of the image-the banner and the man standing on the left (Constantine) were out of focus, so I had to select them separately and use the unsharpen mask. One of the odder cleanup tasks was to fix the blackening caused by the gilding techniques- -what ever the material they used to gild the illustration has started to turn black, but the cloning stamp fixed that right up. We also shot the image with existing light, because the library would not allow us to use flash or instruments. A bit of daylight-balanced light snuck onto the top of the image, turning it a bit bluer than the rest. I did some dodging and playing with hue to balance it out. Hope you like the image--my husband says he has a few hundred more for me to work on!